How important is it for you to test and track your lab markers? Are some tests more important than others? Are functional lab tests useless, or is it just the way that companies are interpreting the data that renders it useless?
In this eye-opening episode, we brought on Dr. Chris Masterjohn and Dr. Tommy Wood to dive deep into understanding the complexities of test results, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and genetic predispositions.
Chris and Tommy use their years of expertise and tremendous depths of knowledge in the health space to discuss the issues with alternative health tests and the best ways to utilize your DNA results.
They also discuss the effects of deficiencies on essential nutrients like zinc and how you can take control of your well-being by identifying unique deficiencies in your own body.
Chris Masterjohn served as Assistant Professor of Health and Nutrition Sciences at Brooklyn College, part of the City University of New York. In the fall of 2016, he made the decision to leave academia and pursue independent research, consulting, working on information products, collaborating on information and technology products, and producing tons of free content to help people gain better health.
Dr. Tommy Wood is an MD with a Ph.D. in physiology and neuroscience. He has coached world-class athletes and is currently an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Neuroscience at the University of Washington.
Socials & Websites:
• SelfDecode: https://bit.ly/3KWy5O6
• The Joe Cohen Show: https://thejoecohenshow.com/
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mrbiohacker/
• TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thejoecohenshow
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/thejoecohenshow
• Website: https://chrismasterjohnphd.substack.com/
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chrismasterjohn/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisMasterjohn
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chrismasterjohn/
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drtommywood/
(0:00) – Intro
(9:58) – Repeatability in testing
(18:28) – Validity of urine hormone testing
(31:00) – Chris’ thoughts on organic acids tests
(39:03) – Validity of organic acids tests
(43:52) – Fungal & yeast tests
(47:11) – Going over the relevancy of some markers
(54:25) – Polygenic Risk Scoring
(1:00:47) – Nutritional Markers
(1:05:20) – Neurotransmitter Markers
(1:07:10) – Stool IgA Tests
(1:12:10) – Ion Amino Acids Panel
(1:16:51) – Summarizing functional lab tests